The fun isn't just limited to the three days of the convention! Check here for exclusive video uploads, contests, vendor specials, events and more
Mermaid Fans will have the opportunity to craft the sand castle of their dreams, for the chance to win a grab bag packed with goodies from our amazing vendors! Scroll down for a description of all the prizes <3 - PLEASE NOTE THAT ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED
- Build a castle out of sand!
- Snap a photo of all 4 sides of your castle, and a pic of you next to your creation holding a sign that says #SHELLterinplace
- Send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Sand Castle Contest", please include your name, and the category you would like to enter
- Submissions closed on July 31st, 2020
- Natural Materials Only: Non man-made items, biodegradable decorations and castle is not a permanent structure. Sand must be naturally colored and not dyed
- All that Glitters and Sparkles: Any of kind materials, castle can be a permanent structure. Colored sand allowed.
- CMC Dream Castle: Design a sandcastle home for our mascot, Poppy! Her favorite colors are orange and blue, and the castle must be decorated with her favorite flower...can you guess what that is? Castle may be a permanent structure and colored sand may be used
Our audience gets to vote! We will post a link on this page - once we have a few submissions - and YOU get to vote for your favorite castle. Voting closes at midnight on Aug 14th, and we will announce our winner during a live on our Instagram at 3 PM on Aug 15th
You can see a preview of our entries below. To vote click here
Our awesome prize box includes
- Two silicone sea stars from Garnet Grotto
- Four limited-edition CMC buttons
- A resin Mermaid Tail magnet and pen from the Bling Sisters
- A sparkly resin trinket tray from the Secret Caped Crusader
- Adorable earrings from Twee
- A one of a kind sea turtle painting from Nor Mermaid Paintings
- A braided tail keychain from Frau Fancy
- A goodie bag of resin jewelry from Kailani's Creations
Learn four helpful poses for those tricky gigs where you are a landlocked mermaid! Join professional mermaid and bellydancer, Mermaid Farasha, the Desert Siren, as she breaks each pose down for easy use.
Find Mermaid Farasha the Desert Siren at http://www.mermaidfarasha.com/
Learn about the #MerfolkforBlackLives movement, as well as the organizations Black Womxn United, and Sisters of Nia - we will be collecting donations to both groups during The California Mermaid convention - http://californiamermaidcon.com/
Original #MerfolkForBlackLives videos by Mermaid Che Monique - https://youtu.be/S2QIpfIX2jg and https://youtu.be/u__CwHnkitU Mermaid Che Monique - www.mermaidchemonique.com, www.facebook.com/mermaidchemonique and www.instagram.com/mermaidchemonique Mermaid Che's Body Positive Clothing Brand - www.societyoffatmermaids.com
You’ve seen them in films such as Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, the Harry Potter-world of Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindlewald, of course The Water Horse and even very recently in Frozen 2. These enigmatic and fascinating creatures while related to each other, absolutely have their own unique, geographical origins and physical attributes. From a merman’s perspective, we will be primarily discussing the differences between Hippocampi and Kelpies, as these are the two species that are most often confused with each other. Where do these creatures live? What do they look like? Are they dangerous or are they friendly? Please join Merman Jax as we whimsically dip our toes in the water with these magnificent and aquatic steeds. Just make sure a Kelpie isn’t lurking around…
Participate in our Digital River Clean Up and donate to the American River Parkway Foundation - https://californiamermaidcon.com/sund...
Join Beyond Geek host Joe Gillis, and convention organizer Mermaid Rachel as they showcase the mermaid-themed episode of Beyond Geek! Surprises in store for the future of the show...
Beyond Geek - http://www.beyondgeek.com/
Academy Award winning FX artist Robert Short tells us about making the iconic tail for Daryl Hannah's 'Madison', in the Touchstone film, Splash. What went into creating one of the most iconic movie mermaid tails to be captured on celluloid? And what was the deal with that lobster scene? Tune in and find out all this and more!
Join professional FX and makeup artist, Nicole Nemecia as she creates a dreamy mermaid look, inspired by one of her favorite artists!
Have some amazing Mermaid Content you want to share with us?
The California Mermaid Convention is seeking out presenters to engage in digital meetings during our online event. If you have Mermaid Content you would like to share in the form of an online symposium, lecture, workshop or class, we would love to hear your pitch!
Our digital presentations will be held on an online platform (platform TBD) for a live audience. Check out the application below for more details