Rusch Park Community Center
7801 Auburn Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA 95610
Main Convention and Adult Swim: 10 AM - 5 PM
Dive in Evening Swim Party - 7 PM - 10 PM
Main Entry to the California Mermaid Convention gains guests access to a variety of activities and events throughout the day, our Adult Swim, and entry to our all-ages Dive in Evening Swim at night!
A Main Entry Ticket Includes
- Main Stage: Musicians, live acts, Storytelling, a Mermaid Hula Lesson and more! We are also thrilled to have two very special guests lead children in play; Ariel and Moana will host a song and dance lesson during the convention!
- Costume Contest: Enter our costume contest for the chance to win some fabulous prizes from our vendors! Our judges will be looking for ocean, mermaid and other nautical themes. Separate contests will be held for children and adults; guests must register for the costume contest on site, the day of the convention.
- Scavenger Hunt: Aquaman and Mera will organize children in an ongoing Scavenger Hunt for adorable prizes. This is the classic look-and-find game with a fishy twist!
- Pirate's Carnival: The little fish visiting the con will delight in a host of activities and games at the Pirate's Carnival! Feed a hungry shark, save a flounder sailor, explore the con with a Pirate Passport, color a mermaid and fence with foam swords. You may even win some pirate gold for your efforts!
- Vendors: We are proud to host a variety of vendors from California and beyond! From jewelry, costumes and tails, to beauty, bath and art, we have scoured the ocean to bring you the most lovely treasures the sea can offer
- Panels and Lectures: Expand your mermaid knowledge and ask questions with some of the Mermaid Industry's leading professionals. A must for any mermaid looking for discourse, enlightenment and education. Light refreshment will be provided.
- Adult Swim: Swim with friends and make some new ones in our beautiful pool. While you swim, you may even want to check out a few of our poolside vendors; and test out some of their wares in the water!
Our Convention is being held at the beautiful Rush Park Community Center; guests will have access to the grounds, which include a park, playground, creek and free parking. Guests are welcome to enjoy the lush lawns and picnic, or spend time poolside in the spacious bleachers.
- DOES NOT include entry to photography sessions, workshops, Children's Swim Sessions, or The Bubble Ball.
- Adult Swim participants must be 12+ to use the pool between the hours of 10 AM - 5 PM. Children may swim in the pool from 7 PM - 10 PM at our Dive In Evening Swim Party. Children who are interested in swimming with a mermaid during the day may book a Children's Swim Session here
- Wristbands must be worn at all times!
- No glass whatsoever, or oil based lubricants will be allowed in the pool area
- No glitter of any kind will be allowed on site at any time
- We have three restrooms on site, as well as Food Truck Vendors
To purchase tickets for Main Entry, please visit the link below. Please note that Main Entry tickets prices will increase as we near the Convention date
- $47 Early Birds
Begins Friday, March 7th!
- $53 After May 1st
- $60 After June 1st
Children 3-12 - $20
Children 0-2 FREE
Those who purchase a Main Entry Ticket to the California Mermaid convention are invited to dress in their mermaidy best and enter our free costume contest! Separate Contests will be held for Children and Adults; both contests will be held on Saturday, July 13th in our Main Hall.
Each of our fun prize baskets have been assembled from items gifted by our talented vendors. Do you think you have what it takes to win some of our amazing prizes? Enter our contests to find out!
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place Winners will be chosen in each Costume Contest
- Contestants must register to enter: Registration will be open from 10 AM - 12 PM. Registration is FREE
- Children's Costume Contest Contestants must gather at the Main Stage at 12:45 PM to prepare for judging
- Adult Costume Contest Contestants must gather at the Main Stage at 12:45 to prepare for judging
You may know Jenny as Elodea the Mermaid, a freshwater mermaid flipping my fins in California's Central Valley. A former professional mermaid with a Sacramento based company, she still loves the mermaid and pirate community in California. She loves to perform when she can for fun and with other companies, and has worked with our amazing organizers at Mermaid and Mom. Her history on the stage, many years as a ballet dancer and teacher, and her experience as a theatrical makeup artist led to her current passion for creating characters. She also enjoys Golden Age of Piracy and 18th Century reenactment, with a focus on continuously improving her historical accuracy. Her background as a seamstress and avid crafter allows her to create costumes from scratch or by repurposing existing materials. She also has a background in cosplay with a focus on wig making!
Judging Favorites: Craftsmanship and materials, with a focus on sewing and wig making.
Justin comes from well over a decade of piracy and gunnery reenactment background. While having an appreciation for period correct work, he tends to personally lean towards romanticized and larger than life costumes. He has been recently spreading out into Edwardian and circus rigs. Additionally, his experience as a competitive beardsman leaves him with an appreciation for showmanship and character. Justin is also our convention's resident King Neptune, a character he has performed as at the Northern California Pirate Festival for many years, and premiered at the Promenade of Mermaids many years ago,
Judging Favorites: Realistic or repurposed props, excellent makeup or mask usage, in-character presentations.
When he's dressed like a pirate, you can call him Jay Fathom. He has been helping mermaids move about on dry land at nautical themed events up and down California for years. He has been a part of a traveling piracy museum, entertained festival crowds with piratical shenanigans, and he's been known to sing a shanty or two. When he's not galavanting about as Jay, he spends his free time writing and/or building immersive art installations. He's a DIY enthusiast and a grown up drama kid, which leads to costume parts all over the house, and a backyard full of ridiculous projects.
Judging Favorites: Knowledge of construction, personal touch, character accuracy (when applicable)
Over twenty years of theater experience has fostered in Diana a love for dramatic costumes and personalities. Her recent endeavors away from theater lean more towards volunteer events and faires, where she has designed her rigs and characters to complement the occasion: Old West, Edwardian Ball, Circus Carnival, ComicCon, Pirate Invasion, or Wasteland Apocalypse. She loves re-purposing elements from her old costume bin with original crafts commissioned from talented friends, turning her rigs into communal creations of her bizarre vision.
Judging Favorites: An enthusiastic story or tour through your creative costuming choices, show me all the secret pieces of your costume she might not notice at first glance -- details matter. Definitely point out elements you made or designed yourself.
What would a mermaid celebration be without the most famous mermaid of all - Ariel! And we couldn't forget the young woman the sea chose - Moana! Ariel and Moana invite our littlest sea fans to the Main Stage to join them for a song and dance lesson and photo ops. Ariel leads guests in song, and Moana will teach a Hawaiian hula dance. Don't miss out on this fun opportunity to meet some of your favorite movie characters, in mer-son!
Activity is free for all with Main Entry Tickets.
Aquaman and Mera will be leading our littlest guppies in a Scavenger Hunt worthy of the King and Queen of the Ocean!* This ongoing activity will take place all Saturday long from 10 AM to 5 PM during the Main Convention on July 12th. Participants will be given tasks and clues to collect and bring back to the aquatic super team in exchange for an adorable take home prize. And of course, they are welcome to snap a photo with Aquaman and Mera when they complete their mission!
Aquaman and Mera are visiting the convention as representatives of The League for Hope. The League for Hope's mission is to bring costumed characters in to visit chronically ill children at hospitals, residences, like the Ronald McDonald House, and charity events. They work with staff to provide the experience they are looking for, be it superheroes, princesses, pirates, mermaids, fairies, movie characters, or computer game characters—anything nerdy and kid friendly that the kids may enjoy interacting with. All their volunteers are experienced working with kids who are going through a major health or life issue. Their goal is to share hope by giving kids a chance to be kids for their visit.
*No registration or payment needed to participate, activity included in Main Entry Ticket
Mermom Laurie is the "Mom" of Mermaid and Mom; one of the founding companies of the convention. Mermom Laurie is a seamstress with a degree in Dance and 50 years of experience in children's recreation and care. She has been a hula dancer since she was 12 years old!
Mermom Laurie is thrilled to share a Hula Noho (seated hula dance) with convention attendees. Utilizing beautiful natural shells, this dance is perfect for children and adults for an introduction to the complex culture of the Hawaiian Islands. Come join Mermom Laurie as she 'shell'ibrates with a song some of you may recognize...
Lesson is free to attendees with Main Entry Tickets. Lesson is aprox 20 min long.
Come enjoy hearing Mermaid stories, singing songs, and moving and grooving as we shake our tails together with Librarian Lisa from the Sacramento Public Library!
All ages are welcome. Reading is free to con attendees with Main Entry Ticket