Rusch Park Community Center
7801 Auburn Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA 95610
Main Convention and Adult Swim: 10 AM - 5 PM
Main Entry to the California Mermaid Convention gains guests access to a variety of activities and events throughout the day, our Adult Swim, and entry to our all-ages Dive in Evening Swim at night!
A Main Entry Ticket Includes
- Main Stage: Musicians, live acts, Storytelling, a Mermaid Hula Lesson and more! We are also thrilled to have two very special guests lead children in play; Ariel will host a singalong party during the convention!
- Scavenger Hunt: Aquaman and Mera will organize children in an ongoing Scavenger Hunt for adorable prizes. This is the classic look-and-find game with a fishy twist!
- Pirate Island: The little fish visiting the con will delight in a host of activities and games at Pirate Island! Feed a hungry shark, save a flounder sailor, explore the con with a Pirate Passport, fence balloon swords and more. You may even win some pirate treasure for your efforts! Pirate Island is located outside of our main gates, and is free to enter to the public
- Vendors: We are proud to host a variety of vendors from California and beyond! From jewelry, costumes and tails, to beauty, bath and art, we have scoured the ocean to bring you the most lovely treasures the sea can offer
- Panels and Lectures: Expand your mermaid knowledge and ask questions with some of the Mermaid Industry's leading professionals. A must for any mermaid looking for discourse, enlightenment and education. Light refreshment will be provided.
- Adult Swim: Swim with friends and make some new ones in our beautiful pool. While you swim, you may even want to check out a few of our poolside vendors; and test out some of their wares in the water!
Our Convention is being held at the beautiful Rush Park Community Center; guests will have access to the grounds, which include a park, playground, creek and free parking. Guests are welcome to enjoy the lush lawns and picnic, or spend time poolside in the spacious bleachers.
- DOES NOT include entry to photography sessions, workshops, Children's Swim Sessions, or Mermaid Prom.
- Adult Swim participants must be 12+ to use the pool between the hours of 10 AM - 5 PM. Children who are interested in swimming with a mermaid during the day may book a Children's Swim Session here
- Wristbands must be worn at all times!
- No glass whatsoever, or oil based lubricants will be allowed in the pool area
- No glitter of any kind will be allowed on site at any time
- We have three restrooms on site, as well as Food Truck Vendors
Tickets will be available Spring 2020
To purchase tickets for Main Entry, please visit the link below. Please note that Main Entry tickets prices will increase as we near the Convention date
- $47 Early Birds
Begins Wednesday, April 1st!
- $53 After May 1st
- $60 After June 1st
Children 3-12 - $20
Children 0-2 FREE
What could be more welcoming than a cool, aqua pool on a hot summer day? The California Mermaid Convention invites you to jump into the crystalline waters of Rush Park Pool for some serious mermaid fun. Bring your beloved merfriends, and get ready make some new friends this July!
- Pool Access included with Main Entry ticket
- Pool open for Adult Swim from 10 AM to 5 PM on July 11th, 2020 (Ages 12+)
- Adults are welcome to swim in their tails or monofins, though they are not required to enter the pool. Tails may be available onsite for purchase from our vendors
- Lifeguards will be on site, please use good sense and caution.
- No breath-holding contests/unauthorized breath-hold instuction onsite
- Goggles are encouraged, NO large flotation devices (floaties included) will be allowed - only coast guard certified life-vests are permitted. Please remember water and sunscreen!
- Main Entry wristbands must be worn while in water and pool area
- Bathrooms to change are on site, as well as food vendors
- No glass whatsoever, glitter, or oil based lubricants will be allowed in the pool area
What would a mermaid celebration be without the most famous mermaid of all - Ariel! Ariel invites our littlest sea fans to the Main Stage to join her for a song and photo ops. Don't miss out on this fun opportunity to meet some of your favorite movie character, in mer-son!
Activity is free for all with Main Entry Tickets.
Mermom Laurie is the "Mom" of Mermaid and Mom; one of the founding companies of the convention. Mermom Laurie is a seamstress with a degree in Dance and 50 years of experience in children's recreation and care. She has been a hula dancer since she was 12 years old!
Mermom Laurie is thrilled to share a Hula Noho (seated hula dance) with convention attendees. Utilizing beautiful natural shells, this dance is perfect for children and adults for an introduction to the complex culture of the Hawaiian Islands. Come join Mermom Laurie as she 'shell'ibrates with a song some of you may recognize...
Lesson is free to attendees with Main Entry Tickets. Lesson is aprox 20 min long.
Aquaman and Mera will be leading our littlest guppies in a Scavenger Hunt worthy of the King and Queen of the Ocean!* This ongoing activity will take place all Saturday long from 10 AM to 5 PM during the Main Convention on July 12th. Participants will be given tasks and clues to collect and bring back to the aquatic super team in exchange for an adorable take home prize. And of course, they are welcome to snap a photo with Aquaman and Mera when they complete their mission!
Aquaman and Mera are visiting the convention as representatives of The League for Hope. The League for Hope's mission is to bring costumed characters in to visit chronically ill children at hospitals, residences, like the Ronald McDonald House, and charity events. They work with staff to provide the experience they are looking for, be it superheroes, princesses, pirates, mermaids, fairies, movie characters, or computer game characters—anything nerdy and kid friendly that the kids may enjoy interacting with. All their volunteers are experienced working with kids who are going through a major health or life issue. Their goal is to share hope by giving kids a chance to be kids for their visit.
*No registration or payment needed to participate, activity included in Main Entry Ticket
As part of our general convention programming, we are pleased to offer a series of lectures, panels, premieres and classes to our guests. Stay tuned for specific panel and lecture updates for 2020
This hour-long class is meant to get you on your feet and discover practical tools becoming a Merfolk, and bringing to life the Mer world. The goals of this class, are to help you create or build upon a theatrical character, using improv techniques develop stories and more confidently enjoy audience interactions.
A small group class indoors provides a safe and intimate learning experience. This class will benefit Merfolk who work parties and festivals, are writing stories or scripts, or find they need to speak in public or on camera to the press
About the Class Leader
Todi can be seen onstage with her comedy troupe Ballet Russe, Dark Garden’s sensual emcee, or proud barker to the Mers at the Northern California Pirate Festival. Her training has been in classical stage technique, method acting and years of commedia del’arte and improvisation.
- 12 PM - 1 PM PM on July 11th, 2020
- Main Entry Ticket not required
- Class is located in the Sunrise Room
- Space for 10 Students
The California Mermaid Convention strives to represent and make visible a variety of voices, experiences and identities from all over the seas. We strive to celebrate the diverse beauty of merfolk from all 'swims' of life.
Being a part of the Mermaid Community can be difficult enough, but some merfolk face additional challenges simply because of the way they were born. Whether a recreational mer or a working professional, factors such as age, race, orientation, mental/physical health, can all lead to increased difficulties and a much more complex daily experience. We will explore these important themes and issues, helping shed light on them and ultimately celebrate a greater understanding of our friends. It’s about more than just diversity, it’s about genuine Representation.
This panel will take place from 4 PM - 5:30 PM on July 11th, 2020.
Panel will be located in the Sunrise Room, on the Right Side.
Panel will hold a general discussion with a Q and A session following.